Monday, August 24, 2015

‘How I finished my PhD … just 30 years after I began’

Feeling in my bag for the ceramic turquoise hippo my mother gave me as a good-luck charm when I was a teenager, I took a long, deep breath. It was almost 2pm on 12 January 2015, minutes away from an event I had been working towards for much of my adult life. Like a finalist on The Apprentice approaching the last challenge, there was a lot riding on my performance. Only this wasn’t reality TV, this was my life. I was about to defend my PhD thesis in a viva. And my journey to this point had taken longer than most. Just over 30 years.
This is still difficult for me to explain. No interesting or successful career had diverted my energies; no extraordinary life events, dramas or emergencies had forced me off the expected path. In retrospect, I’d rather fallen into doing a PhD. Back in 1984, having just completed my BA in social anthropology at Soas (School of Oriental and African Studies), I had no clear career aspirations. But because I graduated with a first, the university encouraged me to stay on for a doctorate. With help from a tutor, I chose a research subject – women and work, a hot topic at the time – and formulated a proposal. On the back of this, I was awarded funding for three years. The anthropological approach places particular demands on the researcher. Its core methodology, participant observation, requires not so much adaptation to the local culture as immersion in it: living, acting and experiencing everyday life among the community under study. For many, it is an intensely personal experience. But on leaving the field, anthropologists are expected instantly to switch back into academic mode, distance themselves from their fieldwork, analyse it and write it up.
Re-entering academia and adjusting to life back in London was harder than I expected. For the past year, I’d spent almost every waking hour in the company of Minangkabau – an Indonesian people known for their Islamic faith and matrilineal traditions (where descent and inheritance are traced along the female line). The tolerance, generosity and genuine care they extended to me during my stay had been truly humbling. Returning to the anonymity, individualism and materialism of urban life was an unwelcome shock. I’d become so absorbed in the Minangkabau culture and so emotionally attached to the people, I couldn’t – and didn’t want to – detach myself from it, let alone write it up in a thesis. How could I do justice to this life-changing experience through the narrow framework of academic discourse? Under pressure to finish, I attempted writing my thesis in an experimental, quasi-literary style, basing each chapter around the narrative of a single Minangkabau woman. It was a disaster. My supervisor didn’t know what to do with me.
‘I’d become so absorbed in Minangkabau culture, I couldn’t – and didn’t want to – detach from it, let alone write it up’
As the funding dried up, earning a living took priority. I planned to find work in social research, but the unfinished doctorate proved a stumbling block. I was either underqualified (no PhD), or overqualified (having started a PhD). Taking any employment I could, I ended up following my partner as his career took hold – Bedfordshire, Cambridge, London, Oman, Bristol, Nottingham, Hampshire, Abu Dhabi, Hampshire again – raising a family along the way.
The PhD, though pretty much abandoned, was not forgotten. Its incompletion felt like a dark shadow of failure. It haunted me. I held on to the idea I might return to it. Wherever we went, I dragged the boxes of fieldnotes and files with me, my own emotional excess baggage. Occasionally, I dipped my toes back in. While pregnant in Oman, I wrote as much as possible from my fieldwork notes before motherhood subsumed my life. In Nottingham, I caught up on theory in the library while my toddler was at nursery. During summers home from Abu Dhabi I bought books and photocopied articles to read while the children were at school. But it wasn’t until 2006 that a combination of events pushed me back on the path to completion.
Working as a freelance journalist, I wrote a piece for the Guardian on unfinished PhDs. Speaking to other “non-completers” in the course of this opened up the wounds – the sense of waste (all that work!); the guilt over invested others (the Minangkabau, funding authority, university, family); the deep disappointment at not finishing what I’d started. I needed to seek some resolution.
I began investigating alternative uses for my data and indirect ways to insinuate myself back into academia. But there was only ever one solution: to finish the thesis. By chance, I met some old university friends the following January. Shocked by my non-completion and adamant I should return, they pressed me to contact the university again. I sent an email the next day and in October 2007, aged 45, found myself back in the academic fold.
With a new supervisor, it looked promising. We were optimistic, predicting submission within two or three years working on it part-time. It took seven. Every stage seemed to take so long: the reading, more than 20 years to catch up on; the writing, much slower than in my younger years; the editing, rewriting, rethinking, further reading, amending. It was a hard slog.
A year before the final deadline, it was all pretty much done, but my supervisor decided to throw one more curveball. We could use the remaining time, he said, to make it even better – just rewrite the introduction and conclusion, split one chapter into two and rejig the others. I was exhausted. I’d rather have bathed in a tub of acid than spend another year on my thesis. But holing myself up in my bedroom, my long-suffering family tiptoeing around me, I got it done: 10 days before the deadline, 900 words under the limit.
At first, all went according to plan. A literature review was conducted, a report written and approved, a research visa received and 13 months’ fieldwork in Sumatra completed. That was the honeymoon period. After coming home, the problems started.
Four months later, I was facing my viva. My supervisor told me to smile, relax and enjoy the discussion, but warned me the outcome was unpredictable: one student’s viva had taken a whole day, another was told to rewrite her entire thesis, and some had even been sent back to do more fieldwork.
Beset by self-doubt, I walked into the viva room, ready to confront my fate. “Before we start,” said the external examiner as I shakily sat down, “we’d like to tell you that you’ve passed, with only minor typographical corrections.”
“This is huge”, said my supervisor afterwards, clapping me on the back, “not just for you, but for me too. This was a big challenge!” Yes, it really was.
The corrections took me little more than a day and soon after, I received email confirmation of my award. But it wasn’t until my graduation ceremony at the end of July, on shaking the hand of the Soas president, Graça Machel, dressed in my doctoral robes of gold and red, that I felt genuine pride. It was over.
Now all I have to do is finally find a suitable career. At 53, that could prove the greatest challenge yet.


Source; http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/aug/18/finished-phd-30-years-after-began-doctorate


No comments: