Thursday, June 3, 2010

Success stories

I know you are all aware of the benefits of mentoring, especially if you work with the YLMP. This being the case, you will also know that mentoring can be challenging at times. I found a few quotes - 'success stories' from various mentoring programmes - that I want to share to encourage you to push through the tough times. Hope you enjoy the read! :)

By mentors:

"Over the past 3 years of serving as a mentor, I have enjoyed myself tremendously. I feel that my fellow mentors and I have made a significant impact in the lives of our students. What I have enjoyed most about the program has been interacting and getting to know my mentee. For an hour each week, I get to escape from my world and return to simpler times of elementary school. Whether talking about music class, field trips, or the latest book report...it is refreshing to see life from a different perspective."

"I have enjoyed being a positive role model. Greeted with enthusiasm every visit, it is warming to see that my presence is so greatly appreciated and that simply by being there to talk and help with homework, I can make such a large impact...I have enjoyed the simple pleasure of taking time out of my hectic schedule to interact with my mentee on a personal level."

"At first I was very nervous and I didn't really think it would be very rewarding, and didn't really think I could be effective. However, now I realize how little it really takes for these kids to get something from me, and now I look forward to it every week and try to encourage all my co-workers to get involved."

"While it is a great feeling to give back to my community, it is even more rewarding to see the direct impact mentoring has on individual lives, mentors and mentees alike. To be able to be a positive role model in a child's life, who may not have one otherwise, is a feeling unparalleled for everyone involved. My experience mentoring has inspired me to dedicate the rest of my life to helping and educating others, who I hope in turn will continue to pay forward the wonderful gift of mentoring in the future."

"[A big reward for me has been] just watching the students progress from week to week and how much change can happen just in that little time. Also to see the goals the students set for themselves and watching or helping them achieve those goals."

By mentees:

"I am honored to be a part of your mentoring program. This program has brought a lot of joy to my heart. I love to spend time with my mentor Tiana B. She has become a part of my family; she encourages me to be successful in everything I do. When I need help with something I could go to her. Without my mentor my life would not be the same."

"[My mentor] Jack could have been a professional baseball player in the 40s, but decided to serve in the Army instead. He missed his pro baseball opportunity as a result of the war, but was always a great recreational athlete and a wonderful playmate to me as I grew up. Since I was a tomboy, I loved to play throw and catch a baseball, throw a Frisbee and I was a pretty good golfer too. Jack was patient when I overthrew the ball and a calm, friendly teacher as he helped me fine-tune my throwing and catching. Jack taught me how to snap my wrist when throwing the Frisbee and to this day my accuracy is certainly due in part to my practice time with Jack. When I was playing golf more often, Jack all contributed to my game in many different ways. Jack was always interested in my life, my activities and especially curious about "Do you have a boyfriend yet?" When I didn't have one, he would follow up with "Do you want me to start looking???" We’d both laugh and I always knew he cared about me. When I visit him now, he’s not able to talk as much but I still manage to get him to smile or even give me a hard time. That’s the Jack I remember and love."

"I enjoyed being taught by you immensely; you are an excellent teacher and have inspired me to continue learning with an open and positive mind. I appreciate all your hard work, it's meant so much to me. Once again, thank you so much for your time, expertise and patience!"

"Katheleen was not only my supervisor and my mentor, but she was also my friend. She taught me patience and positivity. Her caring in my success has made me the successful individual I am today now working with mentoring the youth in our communities. Thank you Katheleen for your influence in my life."

"Thank you for joining mentoring and being my mentor. I know you'll always be there for me in the future so I'll just thank you for that now. It's great to come to mentoring because my mom is a tax accountant and it's almost taxes season and I won't get to see her that often anymore until April, so I'll like to talk to someone and have someone help me with homework or school problems. Thank you again so much for being my mentor."

"My mentor is a friend, a support system, a cheerleader, like family to me and most of all an inspiration and the "wind beneath my wings." Trudy and I have known each other for over twenty years. She is not only my sorority sister, but has been the person who is always there for me through the years. She not only inspires me to make a difference in the lives of others, but she leads by example... Thanks Trudy for being the 'positive energy' in my life and supporting me in all my endeavors."


Sources (you can have a look for quotes/stories not featured above):
Who Mentored You?
Mentorrific
Project Mentor
Mentoring Centre
VIP Mentoring

No comments: